Monday, January 20, 2014

Birichino Brighella (Mischevous Brighella)

In Drama class, I was a part of the classic group. I watched a couple videos and got some background information on the stock characters of Commedia Dell'Arte. I think chose to be Brighella. 

--Why did you choose the character that you did? 

I chose Brighella because when I learned about him, I thought he was quite interesting. Ms. Kimi said that genders didn't matter, so I thought, why not? It might be interesting, especially after learning how he acts. 

--How is that character described (personality, physicality, etc.)? 

To describe Brighella in one word, I would use cunning. Brighella is always thinking about himself. Whats in it for him. How it will benefit him. Sometimes, Brighella will do everything, to secretly sabotage his master, but at other times, he will be extremely loyal. This is why I call him 'Mischevous Brighella'. Apparently, Brighella will go to great lengths to have what he wants, sometimes even killing people. 

--What "body part" is their stereotypical feature? How did you attempt to center their energy there? 

Brighella's "body part" is his hips. He leads with his hips. Now, when I was first trying this out, it was a little difficult, because I kept on resembling a master. However, after trying it multiple times, I think I got it. I walk with my hips forward, and bend down slightly. Then I take really long steps. I think this looks kind of sneaky and evil so it's perfect!

--How did you choose to interact with environment/prop? What specific interaction choices did you make? 
For my interaction, I am pretending to be at the masters house. While I try to sabotage a fellow servant, I steal something. Then I bump into the master himself! Startled, I quickly bow down, to show my respect, and rush along. I watch, and clean something, to look busy. Then when the master calls, I rush to him, and fake innocence, pointing to another. As if to say "But master! I would never!". As the other person is punished, I slip away, and tap my fingers together. 

--How did you choose to "take out" to audience in order to "invite them in" to your performance? 
There are three main times when I include my audience. The first is when I steal the object, I look at them, and put my finger to my lips, symbolizing them to be quiet about this. The second, when I am accused, I look to the audience with wide eyes, as if to say "Come on! You know it wasn't me!". Finally, when the other person is found guilty, and I tap my fingers, I  give the audience a sneaky look, and rush away. 

--What feedback did you get from your performance? 

Amara said that is was unclear what I was trying to do. She also thought I didn’t lead with closed hips, but with open hips. Also that I need to have better facial expressions.

--What will you change for next performance?
I will shorten it, so that it is clearer what I am trying to show. I will try to be more closed with my hips and use more facial expressions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment